You might be thinking, “this girl really likes jalapeños and cheddar”. And you are correct. I really like the heat of the jalapeños and the yumminess of the cheese mixed together in one bite. If I lived dangerously, I would eat a raw jalapeno with a chunk of cheddar cheese…but I don’t. Not yet anyway…
Look at that melty-cooked cheese! ^^ drool.
If you follow me on Instagram you’d know that I grew my own jalapeño plant this year and man oh man are these little peppers spicy!! In the past, when I went to the grocery store for the jalaps I pretty much take a gamble on ‘will they or won’t they’ be spicy…Do you go through this? It would be exciting if it was like, oh I don’t know a soap opera, but it’s not, it’s my food. I have no idea how visually tell if they’re spicy – or if that’s even a thing. One grocery store employee told me if they have the ‘stretch marks’ on them then they’ll be spicy…I was proven wrong that very day because I took home a disappointingly bland and stretch-marked pepper (I still ate it). Do you have any tips on how to tell if a pepper is spicy? If so, please share. I’ll need to know this vital information when my pepper plant dies in the winter.
Anyways, this whole meal came along because I wanted to use some of my brand-spankin-new jalapeño peppers. But what to make? Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread!! But what to eat with it? Ribs, of course. I made ribs that day for the first time ever because what goes well with jalapeño cheddar cornbread? BBQ sauce in the form of ribs. And it was delish – go ahead and plan on making those with this cornbread. And maybe some red wine. And while you’re at it invite me over for dinner!
Making the jalapeño cheddar cornbread is quite easy. If you’ve got a bowl, an arm, and a spatula you can do it. This cornbread is the perfect combination of spicy-cheesy-moist-firm-spongy-and-alittlecrunchy in every.single.bite. NOM!
The white whole wheat flour adds a few extra whole grains so you can eat two slices still feel healthy 😉
Look at that little pocket of melty cheese! Eeeks!
Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread recipe:
- 1 cup yellow corn meal, medium grind
- ½ cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (30g) white whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (8oz) buttermilk, cold
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 5 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, seperated
- 1.5 tbsp (3/4 oz) jalapenos, minced
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Mix together buttermilk, honey, eggs, and butter.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until combined.
- Add in jalapeño and 4 oz of cheese.
- Pour into greased 9x9 round pan, top with remaining cheese, and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350F for 22-27 minutes.
- Variation: make 12 muffins by pouring batter into muffin tin instead of 9x9 pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes